Thursday, October 28, 2010

My nephew and math


My nephew has just started the 5th grade this year. I was always a straight A student good with most subjects math being my weakest. When he started school I was looked upon to start tutoring him.

5th grade math does not sound so difficult. I had helped him with his 4th grade math and never had an issue. Simple math was not something I was able to forget. Adding subtraction and other simple equations were easy for me to teach him. Once he entered the 5th grade it seems the math has started to change. I do not remember such a big jump when I was in school. This year my nephews math is far more sophisticated. The learning curve definitely made me get a little more on the ball. It made me giggle as I thought of the show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader". This has made me realize that in math I might not be smarter than a 5th grader lol

I was always good with Algebra 2 and remember the x and y formulas. I did have to do a little refreshing but I was able to help tutor him in this area. He was really eager to learn as he loves problem solving. I think he will be a great engineer or something else that would require heavy use of math. His favorite area of study is more in the visual area. He loves graphing linear equations. Drawing graphs lends to his creative side as well as his analytical side. An area I was a little hazy with was recalling the formula for volume. I think when he hits geometry I will definitely encourage a tutor. Adding fractions will be the next hurdle we will need to cross wish me luck!!




TutorVista is the leading online tutoring company in the world. We offer an incredible unlimited monthly tutoring package for only $99.99 a month for all subjects - students can use our service as much as they want, whenever they need it. Tutoring is available 24X7. We provide free demo for first time user where they can try the service for free.

No comments: